Dr Manika khanna
No medicine, no therapy is as important as a healthy and nutritious diet for a woman trying to get pregnant. As it is said, let food be your medicine and there are some superfoods that improves and boostsfertility without any medical interference.
The best IVF centre in Delhi suggests to include a well balanced diet with right amounts of vitamins, complex carbohydrates, essential fats and lots of water helps in building a strong immune system. An enriched diet plan also regulate the hormones in the bodyand thus maximising the possibilities of a successful and smooth pregnancy through IVF. Below is the list of fertility boosting superfoods to be included in a women’s diet if she is planning to get pregnant:
1.Almonds: Almonds are rich in Vitamin E whose deficiency cause infertility in both men and women. Vitamin E also protects embryos from miscarriages. Eating almonds along with milk makes an excellent fertility boosting combination.
2. Avocado: Avocados are rich in folic acid, good enzymes and monounsaturated fat. They help strengthen the uterus lining for embryo implantation.
It also increases the chances of conceiving by regulating the hormones in the body.
3.Broccoli: Broccoli contains high amounts of Vitamin which helps ovaries release healthy eggs. Eating broccoli can significantly lower the chances of miscarriage and high levels of estrogen in the body. It is also a good source of calcium and iron which help in improving female fertility to a great extent.
4. Complex Carbohydrates: To boost fertility, it is really important to maintain a low insulin level since high insulin levels prevents ovulation. Simple carbs like white rice, white bread, white pasta, wheat flour, cakes etc. are easily and quickly digested, causing a blood sugar spike. TO bring down this spike, insulin is released by the pancreas into the bloodstream.
Complex carbs like whole grains, lentils, beans, fresh vegetables and fruit are digested gradually thus affecting the blood sugar and insulin slowly.
5. Eggs: Eggs are enriched with vitamin D, antioxidants, DHA (Docosahebaenoic Acid) and carotenoids which helps in boosting fertility. It is also consists of vitamin B12, omega-3 fats and folate that play a key rolein minimising the possible birth defects. Upto six eggs per week can be easily enjoyed by those who are planning to get pregnant. but keep in mind not to discard the yolk since it packs in most of the fertility boosting nutrients.
6. Flax seeds: Flax seeds are rich in Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which are helpful in regulating the hormones in the body.They balance the unbalanced hormones in the body and thus promoting fertility for a smooth pregnancy.
7. Salmon: Salmon is considered as the best superfood for enhancing fertility. The high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids in salmon not only regulate the hormones but is also observed to be reducing stress. It also helps in preventing miscarriages and birth defects.
8. Whole Milk: The female hormones, oestrogen and progesterone need necessary fats which is present in whole milk. Drinking low fat milk or skim milk increases the amount of male hormone in a woman’s body and decreases the level of female hormone. For all those women who are trying to conceive, skim milk is a big NO as it creates trouble in getting pregnant and promotes infertility. Opt for full fat and its products like cheese, yogurt etc. as they promote fertility and provides calcium for the body.
9. Walnuts: Ever wondered why Walnut looks like a brain, because it helps in the brain development of the foetus. Being loaded with vitamin B complex, they are considered as a wonder food for boosting fertility and in achieving a smooth pregnancy.
10. Water: Hydration is really important during pregnancy since the lack of water can cause complications like nausea,dizziness, oedema, and cramps. Water helps in flushing out toxins and maintaining pH levels of the body by keeping it cool.
Dr. Manika Khanna is renowned IVF Specialist of India